The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have been recommending face covering in the public due to spread of COVID-19. It is essential to maintain social distancing at the same time. However, it may not be always possible to stay at a safe distance in the places like grocery shops, super markets or pharmacies.
Through respiratory droplets, virus can spread easily if two people are in a close proximity. Sneezing, coughing and talking can transmit the virus also. So, face masks can protect the people to some extent in such situations. If a person has the virus already then transmission can be avoided by wearing the mask also. By abiding by the rules, it is possible to stay safe. On the occasion, people must not touch their mouth and nose also. In this way, risk can be reduced.
Healthcare workers have been using the medical grade N-95 respirator or surgical masks mostly. Due to shortage in supply, people are advised to wear cloth mask with three layers at least. It creates physical barrier in front of the viral droplets. On the occasion, it is important to use and wear the face mask correctly also. Here’s are some do’s and don’ts of wearing a face mask that should be followed.
- Face masks must be worn in public
- Masks must come with multiple layers and tightly woven. However, it should be good enough to breathe properly also.
- Masks must be perfectly fitted to the face without a gap
- Before wearing a mask, hands must be washed properly. Removing the mask, you must wash hand with soap or sanitizer once again.
- During removal of the mask, you must take it out through the ear loops.
- In spite of wearing a mask, you must try to maintain social distance as much as possible. It is always better to keep 3 feet to 6 feet distance.
- If you come in close contact with elderly people within house then face mask must be worn also.
- Face masks must be washed with detergent and hot water. Later on, it must be dried properly also.
- Mask must not be used by kids under the age of 2.
- Medical grade masks must not be worn as it is important to reserve it for the healthcare workers.
- Masks must not be pushed down to chin while drinking or eating. In this way, masks may be damaged or lose its shape.
- In spite of wearing mask, hands and feet must be washed properly after coming back from outside.
- In case of coughing or sneezing, it is better not to go outside the house.